The North Pacific Wire

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Breaking News and Interview with Flemingovia

Breaking News: James2spooky has withdrawn from the race for Minister of Arts and Entertainment.


Interview with Flemingovia, Candidate for delegate:

• When did you first start playing Nationstates?

I began playing NS on January 1st 2004, after NS was mentioned on a radio programme as “Website of the day”. Compared to the likes of Nastic that makes me quite a newbie.

• When did you first move to TNP?

I was born in TNP, and have never strayed far from these shores. Who knows what would have happened if the gods of NS had born me in another region? I first registered on the forum as “Hartley Hare” – but realised that was a bit sad and changed it within 10 minutes. I have been Flemingovia ever since.

• What is your past experience in TNP politics or other regional politics?

Like a lot of players I became involved beyond OOC in the Great Bight era, when I was the Government In Exile’s representative on the League of the Pacifics (together with Drkwych). I have served in every elected NP government, going back to the first constitution last year, mainly in the department of Internal Affairs. I have been active in the NPA and I have also been a forum admin for number of months, which certainly gives you an insight into another whole area of NS life!

• Why did you decide to run for delegate?

Because I thought I could give the job the time and attention it needed, and I was urged to run by a lot of people who felt that I could do a good job in “the hot seat”. I have gained a lot from this region and the players in it. So it is good to have the opportunity to put something back into the region.

• What is your opinion of the revised Constitution?

I think it is a great improvement over the codex it replaced! It incorporates a lot of ideas that I think will be good for the region. I support the notion of delegate elections, and the more limited role for the delegate generally. I particularly like the introduction of a security council and wider accountability for all officials. The BEST thing about it was the number of people who had input into its creation, and the chance to vote on its adoption.
Ultimately, any piece of legislation is only as good as its implementation. So it will be up to the new government to make it work. And I would urge everyone to get behind the new government and make this work, rather than standing on the sidelines criticising.

• Would you, in the future, support TNP joining the Alliance Defense Network ever again?

Absolutely – if it was clear that this was the will of the electorate of the region. But then I would also support us joining the Union of Sovereigns if that was the declared will of the region as a whole. I opposed us leaving the A.D.N. because of the WAY in which it was done – a stitch up by a couple of players – rather than the decision itself.
Speaking personally, I am grateful to the ADN for their support of democracy in this region over the past 12 months or more. But I feel that opening a debate on ADN membership would not help the region at the time, and would further fragment the community. I think we need a period concentrating on building up TNP before we get heavily involved in interregional politics again.

• What do you think has been the most important historical event in The North Pacific?

Two events, really. The first would be the rise of Great Bight and the subsequent struggle and liberation. The second would be the handing over of the Pixiedance password. Both were events that shaped our region like no other.

• How about some off topic questions? Have you ever started your own region? If so, what was it called and how did it do?

I have started one region, called “the playpen”, designed as a play area for my one-year-old son Andrew. I alsocreated a forum for the North Pacific called “der Norf Pacific”. I created DNP when I realised that there were about 15 North Pacific forums floating around out there, and I thought to myself “Why should I be left out?” So I created my own NP forum. Let’s just say that it is a …. Unique take on NP politics. But I had a lot of fun with both the Playpen and DNP.

• Who do you think are the top five most powerful players in Nationstates, OUTSIDE of The North Pacific?

I know you are thinking of the obvious suspects – CG, Gates, Eli, Moldavi etc. But in reality the answer has to be [violet], SalusaSecondus and the senior game Mods. They are the real powers in this game. And woe betide anyone who forgets it.

• Okay, back to the election subject. What do you plan to do first if elected delegate?

My first job would be to get enough endos to actually become delegate! Winning the election is only the first part of the process.
As well as the basic duties of the delegate: UN voting, security etc, one of the things that I passionately believe in is that the delegate should be accessible and available, so I would start publishing the times when I will be on IRC/AIM etc, and on forum, and encouraging people to come and talk to me.

• And finally, why should people vote for you as delegate this week?

Because over the past 20 months they have come to know me and trust my integrity, and because they have heard what I have to say about the delegacy and believe in my platform. I have pledged myself to support and uphold the constitution. If you want to give the constitution a good chance of working – vote Flemingovia.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home