The North Pacific Wire

Monday, August 01, 2005

Interview with Poltsamaa, Candidate for Prime Minister

After a day of elections comes to a close, here is an interview I conducted with Poltsamaa, who is running for Prime Minister of TNP:

---------------------

When did you first start playing nationstates?



I started playing NationStates in september of 2003!!



When did you first join TNP and when did you become active in TNP politics?


I joined TNP in January 2005 when I created the nation Poltsamaa!! I became active in politics almost immediately when nobody volunteered for the position of Deputy Minister of Justice prior to the formation of the NPD!! I decided to take the job on rather than have it left vacant!!



If elected Prime Minister, what do you plan to do first?


If elected Prime Minister the first thing I will do is focus government attention on reviewing and revitalising the internal aspects of our region!! We need to get more people involved in the government, preferably through the Regional Assembly!! I think it is all well and good to have people involved in the OOC section, but the region only truly benefits if we can get more diversity and competition in government offices!! A similar initiative would be undertaken for the NPA as the stronger our region is government-wise and militarily the more self-sufficient we become!!



What do you think is the single greatest reason people should vote for you?


I have fresh ideas for the region and a vast amount of experience in working within a regional government!! I am not the type of person to shirk an issue or neglect a job and I think TNP needs people who can think outside of the square in order to move forward from the chequered past!!



How do you feel about the revised Constitution that was recently passed in TNP?


It is adequate but far too long and complex!! This opinion is confirmed by the confusion and self-contradiction of the constitution with regards to Delegate candidates' eligibility requirements!! I think that it probably was not subjected to critical analysis that it needed prior to it being accepted as the regional constitution!! We have the mechanisms to make changes and I hope to facilitate the changes that I and others think are needed through these channels!!



Why did you decide to run for the position of Prime Minister?


I decided to run because I'd like to make a difference in the region!! I do not like to see people win office uncontested as it reflects poorly on the government situation in the region!! Competition keeps people honest and means that people have to work hard in their jobs when they have them!! I feel I have a lot to offer the region with my experience and knowledge of the game and politics!! If I am elected it would be a bonus, but this will hopefully encourage others to run next time and challenge those that currently hold office!!

I also asked for any additional comments:

I must say I am disappointed that certain people running for a contested office do not feel they need to campaign!! To me, that is an insult to their opponent and also an insult to the electorate as they obviously feel they are above the need to campaign!! I have no personal grievance with these people but I feel it sends a negative message to those who might consider running in the future when they see a person who did not even campaign win an election easily!! It adds credence to the "I'm not going to win so why bother" mentality that I believe stops people from running!! That belief is confirmed by the fact that so many offices are uncontested in these elections!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home